This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 24] for the repairing of Gravelly bridge, and to report at the next meeting. June 11, 1716, the town voted to raise five pounds to repair the meeting-house and mend Gravelly bridge; in 1751 the town voted to rebuild Gravelly bridge with stone. The bridges over Marble or Meeting-house and Whitmore brooks in High street were by order of the town rebuilt of stone in 1803; these brooks where crossed by the street are not affected by the flow of the tide. All of the bridges above mentioned were originally built so as to allow fording-places at their sides for the purpose of watering horses and cattle, and they have since been enlarged and extended so as to cover the entire width of the streets. The bridge over Gravelly creek at Riverside avenue was built in 1746, by private parties, for the purpose of making a convenient way to the tide-mill; and by agreement with the owners of the land over which this way was laid the bridge was built of stone. The bridge over Mystic river, at Harvard avenue, was built in 1856; it is situated in the city of Medford and town of Arlington, and by a vote of the town of Medford in 1857 was named ‘Usher's bridge.’ The bridge at Winthrop street was built in 1857 and named ‘Winthrop bridge.’ The decree of the County Commissioners required that it should be built with a draw, or with a movable section so as to allow for the passage of vessels. The bridge at Boston avenue was built in 1873; it is situated in the cities of Medford and Somerville, and its abutments and piers are the same that supported the aqueduct of the Middlesex canal, which crossed the river at that point. The bridge at Auburn street was also built in 1873. Middlesex-avenue bridge was built in 1873, by the County of Middlesex; it is situated in the cities of Medford and Somerville, and is maintained at the joint charge of those cities; the care of the bridge and the
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.