were laid out four rods in width, and comparing that width with their present width, it is not surprising that many complaints were made in regard to them.
It required constant watchfulness on the part of the town authorities to prevent these encroachments, and many a valuable public right has been lost by long-continued neglect.
In addition to these highways there were local or private ways leading down to the river to the several landing-places.
These ways were called proprietors' ways, and it is a matter of doubt as to the public ever having possessed any rights therein.
A portion of the way now known as Riverside avenue was known in early days as the River
road, commencing at or near Cross street and running easterly across the boundary line between Medford
(that part of Charlestown
being afterwards set off to Malden
) to Wilson
's point, known in our day as Wellington
That part of Riverside avenue between River street and Cross street was laid out in the year 1746, in order to make a convenient way to the tide mill.
The most easterly of the ways leading from the River
road to the river is now known as Foster court, and the landing-place was called ‘Labor in vain Landing,’ it being opposite Labor in vain Point.
There is some reason to believe that it was also called ‘Hall's Landing
The next westerly landing was situated near the foot of Park street, and the way thereto was through land afterwards used by Mr. Thatcher Magoun
as a shipyard.
The third and last landing-place east of the bridge was situated at the foot of Cross street and was called ‘No Man's Friend,’ and also ‘Wade's Landing.’
laid out a way from this landing to its woodlots, on the northerly line of Mr. Cradock
's farm, the southerly end of this way being at or near the present location