had disappeared, and probably the dam was much out of repair; at all events, the ancient way was abandoned, and Mr. Ebenezer Brooks
, who owned the land between High street and the river, no doubt soon obliterated all traces of it.
Mr. John Francis
owned sixty acres of land, with house and farm buildings thereon.
In Middlesex Deeds it is described as bounded west on Mistick river and the Great pond
; south by a highway to the Wares; east by a roadway to Woburn
; and north by a ditch and hedge (dated March 2, 1692).
In the year 1735 a highway was laid out from Stoneham
, ‘from Spot Pond swamp to the County Road
by the Brickyards in Medford
This way is now known as Fulton street.
Most, if not all, of these highways within the limits of Medford
were laid out over ways already existing.
It was the custom in those days of defining the bounds of a highway by means of a stump, a rock, or a marked tree.
Such bounds soon disappeared and rendered a new laying out of the way necessary.
Medford roads were first mentioned in the county records on June 25, 1658: ‘Medford
is enjoined to repair their highways before the next term of Court, on penalty of forty shillings.’
Complaints were numerous thereafter in regard to the condition of these roads.
March 13, 704-5: ‘Capt. Peter Tufts
and Stephen Willis
, appear in Court to answer to defects in the way to Malden
, they say that they are mending the way as fast as they can, and in regard to the defect north of Mistick Bridge, that they have mended the same.’
Aug. 25, 1719, John Bradshaw
, appearing in court to answer to complaints about a highway in Medford
, answered ‘that to the best of his knowledge, the way is mended.’
In the year 1769 the town of Medford
being presented for not amending and repairing a highway in said town