citizens, or bore surnames common in the town at that time.
One hundred were tax-payers between 1775 and 1783.
In August, 1774, Medford
began to be anxious about her supply of powder, stored with that of the surrounding towns in the Powder House
on Quarry Hill
, near Medford line.
was sent to remove the town's supply on August 27.
His services cost five shillings. Three days after, General Gage
sent the troops out from Boston
and carried all the ammunition that remained to Castle William.
This act of Gage
caused great indignation, and whatever element of conservatism remained was speedily swept away.
Benjamin Hall, the chief business man of Medford
, was chosen to represent the town in the General Court, which held its last meeting in Boston
March 31, 1774.
On June 1 General Gage
transferred the government to Salem
, and appointed the Assembly to meet June 7.
The meeting on that day was so revolutionary that Gage
sent his secretary to dissolve it; but he was forced to read his proclamation on the stairs, for the patriots were holding their session behind locked doors.
called another meeting of the Assembly for October 5, but countermanded the order.
The patriots ignored his right to do this, and ninety Representatives met and formed themselves into a Provincial Congress.
They appointed Benjamin Hall a member of the Committee
Flour, rice, pease, pickaxes, saws, cartridge-paper, and other necessaries were shipped to Concord
In November seven cannon were bought, and Mr. Gill
and Mr. Benjamin Hall
were desired to get them out of Boston
to some place in the country.
This was a hazardous undertaking.
The guns were loaded with other goods, concealed in loads of hay and wood, and in other ingenious ways the strict watch of the guards was