There were several ancient ways east of the marketplace (the Square
) dating back to about the year 1700. One of these is now known as River street (Dead Man's alley). It was then called ‘The way to the wharfs.’
Another way is spoken of as leading from Salem street to the old burying-ground.
This way is now contained within the present grounds, as they were not originally located upon Salem street, as at the present time.
Still another way commenced at the Market
place, running easterly over what is now known as Riverside avenue; it extended but a short distance from the Market
place and was called Distill House lane.
On the corner of this way and Main street, fronting on the Market
place, stood the ‘Royal Oak Tavern.’
great brickyards were located north of Webster street, extending on both sides of Fulton street. It is probable that ways extended from Salem street to these yards.
They were no doubt located where Ashland and Fountain streets now are.
The first landing-place and the way leading thereto, west of the bridge, are supposed to have been immediately adjoining the bridge and on land now partially occupied by the Carleton Building
and partially by the street.
It is within the memory of those now living that the buildings on that land were set back from the street some twelve or fifteen feet, so that teams could be driven down to the edge of the wharf.
There are reasons for believing that a landing once existed there.
laid out one directly opposite, for the purpose of landing materials for the repairs of the southerly half of Mistick bridge, and it is fair to assume that the four towns which maintained the northerly half of said bridge also had a landing for similar purposes.
The records of the County Court
show that on March 8, 1736, a petition was presented to that Court as follows: ‘The inhabitants of the towns of Medford
, and Reading represent that they have for many years maintained and repaired the northerly half of Mistick ’