3d, or Tertius
, as he was familiarly called, James Wyman
, Deacon Isaac Warren
, and Deacon Samuel Kidder. Benjamin Hall
lived in what was later called the ‘Dr. Swan House
,’ and his place of business was the distillery and adjacent buildings, consisting of a candle-house, cooper's shop, etc. With our modern ideas of street lines we have wondered why each of the old houses on High street projected farther into the street than its neighbor on the east.
This was to obtain an unobstructed view of the market-place from the end window of each house.
People built houses very nearly where they pleased in those days—even placing them back to the street if their taste dictated.
Stephen Hall, Tertius
, lived in the vicinity of Allston street, West Medford.
was the Town
Treasurer, a man who ‘bore the burden and heat of the day’ during the war. With an empty treasury, he was constantly instructed to borrow, borrow, borrow.
He quitted office in 1778, and at that time received £ 10-6-8, ‘for his extraordinary services and expense as Treasurer.’
Ebenezer Brooks, Jr., was a half brother of Governor Brooks
He died in September, 1775. Deacon Kidder
died in 1777.
For years before his day, and almost continuously since, there has been a Deacon Kidder
The one who bears the title to-day is his great-grandson.
By order of the Provincial Congress, companies of minute-men had been formed in all the towns, and were composed of some of their best citizens.
A journal of the day said that to be a private in them was an honor; to be chosen an officer was a mark of highest distinction.
Capt. Isaac Hall
, the commander of the Medford
minute-men, was a brother of Benjamin Hall, the Representative
, and Richard Hall, the Town
He was in business with the former.
His lieutenant was Caleb Brooks
, brickmaker, a half brother of Dr. John Brooks
. Ensign Stephen Hall
was the eldest son of Stephen Hall, Tertius
He was born