former officers of the church were re-elected.
served the church until July 3, 1857. James M. Sanford
was elected the second deacon in 1856, and remained in office until he removed from the town, about a year afterward.
In October, 1858, James Pierce
was elected to the diaconate, an office which he filled until his death in April, 1895.
Early in Mr. Keely
's pastorate, Mr.Breed
and Mrs. Horace A. Breed
came to West Medford, and immediately cast in their lot with this church.
, strong in counsel and liberal in giving, Mrs. Breed
, earnest and faithful in every good work, cheered the hearts and strengthened the hands of pastor and fellow-workers, until Mrs. Breed
, in March, 1873, and Mr. Breed
, in October, 1878, closed their eyes on earthly scenes.
In the spring of 1858, Rev. George M. Preston
supplied the pulpit, and after six months the church extended to him a call to become its pastor.
Fostered by his sweet and gentle spirit, the church enjoyed a season of remarkable fellowship and unanimity, resumed its original name of the First Baptist Church, and, during this pastorate a society debt of several years' standing was removed.
Impaired health compelled Rev. Mr. Preston
to relinquish his charge in June, 1868.
After the restoration of his health he held successful pastorates in our own state and farther west.
His work here was in the antebellum days and in the exciting years of the civil strife.
Always loyal to his country, he stood side by side with his brother clergymen of the town, with whom he counselled and worked.
The church right royally fulfilled her obligations to the country, and from church, Sunday-school, and congregation, her children went forth to uphold the flag.
Among the names thus enrolled we find Isaac J. Hatch, Jr.
, Sergeant Samuel M. Stevens
, Wm. H. Bailey
, Benjamin Bunker
, Wm. H. S. Barker
, Daniel S. Ells
, David S. Hooker, Jr.
, Sergeant Francis A. Lander
, Horatio N. Peak, Jr.
, Edward F. Crockett
, George Thompson
, and Danforth Tyler Newcomb