Appleton Chapel, to the west of Sever, will be easily recognized by its spire.
The sandstone of which it is built was brought from Nova Scotia
, and the chapel was completed in 1858.
Here are held the religious services of the University
, consisting of morning prayers, attendance not compulsory, vesper service on Thursday afternoons from November until May, and Sunday evening services.
As the University
is non-sectarian, preachers of all denominations officiate at these exercises.
The chapel was formerly used for notable wedding and funeral ceremonies, the obsequies of Professor Louis Agassiz
, the eminent geologist and teacher, having been performed here.
Next to the chapel is located the “William Hayes Fogg
Art Museum of Harvard University,” the latest addition to the buildings in the college yard.
It is of stone, facing Cambridge street, and consists of two parts, the front portion with two stories for exhibition rooms, the rear part forming a semi-circular lecture hall.
The purpose which this museum is to fulfil, as stated by the donor, is to furnish a place for the study and advancement of what is best in art. The exhibition space is necessarily limited, but, supplemented as it is by the resources of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, will amply justify the hopes of its founder.
Leaving the college yard by the North
gateway, a gift from Mr. George von L. Meyer
, in 1891, our attention is immediately attracted by the grand outlines of Memorial Hall, glimpses of which have been had many times during our previous walk.
At the entrance let us pause a moment and glance at the curious, old, octagonal building of brick in the triangular plot of land opposite.
This is the old gymnasium, built in 1860,