Directly back of this dormitory, facing Harvard Square, is Wadsworth House, a wooden structure built in 1726 in colonial style, and for many years the home of the college presidents.
Many celebrated persons have been entertained here, and it was at this house that General Washington
had his headquarters before going to Craigie House.
At present the building is used as a dormitory, while the brick addition in the rear contains the offices of the bursar and college printer.
on the opposite side of the quadrangle is Matthews
, built in 1872 by Nathan Matthews
Southwest of Matthews
and facing the square stands Dane Hall, a gift in 1832 from Nathan Dane
of Beverly, Mass.
Until Austin Hall was built, this was devoted to the uses of the Law School.
At present it is occupied by the Cooperative Society
, headquarters for books and student's supplies, and contains one lecture room.
Passing from the quadrangle between Weld
's we observe on the right a large granite building.
This is Boylston Hall, the chemical laboratory, and was built in 1857.
On the wall facing the street is a tablet which informs the reader that-
Here was the Homestead
of Thomas Hooker 1633-36
First Pastor at Newtown
Thomas Shepard 1636-49 John Leverett 1696-1724
Jonathan Mitchell 1650-68 President of Harvard College
First & Second Ministers of Edward Wigglesworth 1726-68
the First Church of Cambridge First Hollis Professor of Divinity &
Edward Wigglesworth 1765-94
Second Hollis Professor of Divinity
As we proceed on our walk Gore Hall, the Library, comes into view.
This imposing granite structure was completed in 1841, a gift from