built about 1740 by Brigadier-General William Brattle
of His Majesty's army.
When General Brattle
was obliged to leave his house, it was used by Col. Thomas Mifflin
, quartermaster of the American
The mansion was situated about in the centre of the extensive grounds which stretched from the present Brattle square to the Vassall estate.
They were so beautifully laid out that they were said to be the finest in New England
, with their shaded walks and lawns reaching to the banks of the Charles
Here were held a number of receptions while the army was in Cambridge
One was given in honor of Mrs. John Adams
, and at another Mr. Adams
Another interesting association for Cambridge
people lies in the fact that this house was once occupied by Margaret Fuller
The parlor and the room above are practically unchanged still, the former showing some handsome panelled wainscoting and, about the fireplace, probably the first Italian
marble brought to America
The next house in Tory Row was that at the corner of Hawthorn street, known as the old Batchelder
or Vassall place. This is one of the oldest houses in Cambridge
, as it was mentioned in the early records as being already built in 1642.
In 1717 the estate came by inheritance to Jonathan Belcher
, afterwards royal governor of the province, and into the possession of the Vassall family in 1736, having been purchased by Colonel John Vassall
. Five years later it was sold by him to his brother, Colonel Henry Vassall
It was he, probably, who built the ancient brick wall forming the boundary line of the estate at the corner of Brattle and Ash streets (then known as Windmill Lane), which has been a landmark in Cambridge