of some of the rooms were covered with landscape paper.
It was afterwards owned by Judge Joseph Lee
On the occupation of Cambridge
by the troops he removed to Boston
where he remained during the siege of that town, but after the siege was raised he returned to Cambridge
and was allowed to live in his residence on condition that he would not interfere with politics, although he was obliged to give up his position as councillor.
He remained here until his death, in 1802.
Next in order is the Fayerweather house
also on the right-hand side of the street, between the Nichols house and Faverweather street, long the residence of William Wells
who kept there a well-known school for boys.
This structure, built between 1740 and 1750, was first occupied by George Ruggles
, who after the trouble with the mother country began, sold the estate in 1774 to Thomas Fayerweather
This house was used as a hospital for the wounded soldiers.
In one of the old records we read: “August 21, 1775, a sergeant, corporal
, and nine men to mount guard to-morrow morning at Mr. Fayerweather
's house lately converted into a hospital.”
The house is now owned by Mr. Newell
and is in most excellent preservation, a fine, stately and hospitable mansion as of yore.
As famous as Craigie house, and for a similar reason, is “Elmwood,” the entrance to which is on Elmwood avenue, between Brattle and Mount Auburn streets. This house was built between 1763 and 1767 by Thomas Oliver
, the last of the lieutenant-governors
under the crown.
He was so much disliked by the people that a large number surrounded the house and demanded his resignation.
He refused until he feared for his own safety and that