The original plan of the building was that of a Latin cross, having octagonal towers at the corners of the principal part.
In 1876 an addition to the east was made for the bookstacks, and now further alterations are contemplated.
The library here numbers 323,000 volumes, with as many pamphlets.
This number does not include the volumes in the special libraries belonging to the various departments of the college.
The entrance to the hall is on the south side, where one may see a small gilt cross, a trophy brought by the Massachusetts
troops from the siege of Louisburg
In the original part of the building is the Art Room
, containing many precious curiosities: In a glass case one may see the only book remaining from John Harvard
's library, John Eliot
's Indian Bible, Burns
' “Scots wha hae” in the handwriting of the author, the autographs of many famous men, besides a death-mask of Oliver Cromwell
, and a large collection of Roman coins.
The great privilege of using this library is extended to those not connected with the University
, and its doors are open every week day, except legal holidays, from 9 A. M. to 5 P. M. (2 P. M. during vacations).
As we leave the library, we may see the President's house
on the elevated ground to the east.
This building is of brick and was a gift to the college from Mr. Peter C. Brooks
The old mansion house in the corner, next to the one just mentioned, is known as the Dana
In 1823 the family of Chief Justice Dana
lived there, and after the cupola was added to it, astronomical observations were made here until the present Observatory was completed.
The next family to occupy the house was that of Dr. A. P. Peabody