It is noticeable that many schools now cluster not far from this spot — the Washington School, the Cambridge School
, one in Mason street and one or more in Appian Way.
The stated fees being quite insufficient for Mr. Corlet
's support, special grants were made him. One of ten pounds was ordered in 1680.
The record reads: “It was agreed at a meeting of the whole town, that there should be land sold of the common for the gratifying of Mr. Corlet
for his pains in keeping of a school in the town; the sum of ten pounds if it can be attained, provided it shall not prejudice the common.”
The “common” probably means any undivided lands held in common by the proprietors of the town.
The land actually sold under authority of this order was on the south side of Charles River
As Mr. Corlet
, in addition to his other duties, prepared Indians for college, this “gratifying” does not seem excessive.
is then, in 1680, provided with a schoolhouse and a schoolmaster.
Now as to pupils.
In that year there were nine, perhaps a fair proportion as compared with that college class which, as we know on high poetical authority, consisted of “the nephew of the President
, and the Professor
To complete the proper school equipment, we find an order, “to see to the educating of children as follows: it is ordered, that John Bridge shall take care of all the families of that side the highway his own house stands on; Sergeant Winshepe
is to see to the families on the other side and all the families in the lane going from the meetinghouse down to the river and so Watertown-ward; George Cooke
to take care of all the families between ”