tradition of a subterranean passage between the two houses, although this has hitherto been sought in vain.
Both these dwellings belonged to a series of large houses on Brattle Street, called Tory Row, whose proprietors were almost all kinsfolk, owned West India
estates and slaves, entertained company in great affluence, according to the descriptions of the Baroness Riedesel
, and were almost all forced to leave the country at the approach of the Revolution.
Tradition recalls a Twelfth Night party given by Mrs. Washington
in 1776, she having come to visit her husband during his residence in Cambridge
‘She arrived in great ceremony, with a coach and four black horses, with postilions and servants in scarlet livery.
During her visit she and her husband celebrated their wedding anniversary, though the General
had to be much persuaded by his aides.’1
The southeastern room, afterwards Longfellow
's study, had been Washington
's office, and the chamber above it his private room, this being Longfellow
's original study.
The house was bought about 1792, the dates being a little uncertain, by Andrew Craigie
, apothecary-general of the northern department of the Revolutionary army, who made additions to the house, which was described as a princely