Housewife,’ and Heath
's ‘Book of Beauty’ beside ‘Hannah More.’
Yet it was doubtless the only house in Cambridge
which then held complete sets of Voltaire
, of Moli-ère, Crebillon
, and Florian, Madame de Sevigne
and Madame de Stael
Some of the books thus sold form a part to this day of the Longfellow
library at Craigie House; but there is no reference to the poet in the original catalogue, except that it includes ‘Outre-Mer,’ No. 1, doubtless the same copy which he saw lying on the sideboard.
Mr. J. E. Worcester
, the lexicographer, shared the house with Longfellow
, as did for a time Miss Sally Lowell
, an aunt of the poet.
bought it for himself, and ultimately sold it to Mr. Nathan Appleton
, father of the second Mrs. Longfellow
, to whom he presented it. Part of the ten magnificent elms of which Longfellow
wrote in 1839 have disappeared.
The ground has been improved by the low-fenced terrace which he added, and the grounds opposite, given by the poet's children to the Longfellow Memorial Association
, have been graded into a small public park descending nearly to the river.
Within the house all remains much the same, Longfellow
's library never having been scattered, although his manuscripts and proof-sheets, which he preserved and caused to be