previous next

[405] in confusion. I then brought up the Eleventh Missouri to Colonel McMillen's support, but before they arrived in front the rebels had disappeared and the fight was over.

Colonel McMillen and his command displayed great gallantry in so quickly repulsing this attack.

As soon as our wounded had been picked up I again moved on and arrived at the camp about dark.

The next morning the General commanding the expedition indicated to me the positions he wished my division to occupy, and I placed the troops of my commad as follows: Colonel Woods' brigade on the left, its left resting on the Pontotoc road, and connecting with the right of the Third division; Colonel Ward's brigade on the right of Colonel Woods'; Colonel McMillen's brigade on the right of Ward's; and Colonel Wilken's brigade in reserve.

The Second Iowa battery was placed on the left of Colonel Ward's brigade, and commanded the Pontotoc road and the open field on the right of that road. Captain Miller's battery was placed on the right of Colonel Ward's brigade, and the section of Company E, First Illinois battery on the right of Colonel McMillen's brigade.

The enemy commenced the attack at about half-past 7 o'clock in the morning, coming down in line of battle along our front and opposite our left, moving in an irregular mass. I directed the fire to be retained until they approached quite near, and then opened on them with shell, canister, and musketry. The fight continued for about two hours and a half, when, finding that they would not approach any nearer our lines, I ordered the third brigade to charge on them. This was very gallantly done, and the enemy driven from the field with heavy loss.

I had two field officers and several men sunstruck during the charge, and the enemy, having fallen back to their led horses, disappeared from our front.

I did not attempt to pursue them any further, as my command was well nigh exhausted with the march of nineteen miles and the fighting of the day before; in fact it would have been useless to pursue mounted infantry with troops on foot under any circumstances.

On the morning of the fifteenth, the enemy again appeared in our front. I awaited their attack, but finding that they were not disposed to approach within musket shot, with the exception of their skirmishers, I moved upon them and drove them about two miles, when they again took to their horses and fled. I then followed the third division, which had already moved out on the Ellistown road. A brigade of cavalry formed the rear guard.

I arrived at the camp on Oldtown creek, and was there met by a staff officer of the General commanding the expedition, who directed that my division should pass by the Third and encamp in advance of them. Just as my rear brigade had crossed the creek, and passed through the bottom on the north side of it, several shells were suddenly dropped into the camp by the enemy, who, it seems, had driven in our cavalry the very moment the infantry had crossed the creek.

I was directed by Major-General Smith to take a brigade and drive the enemy back. I moved the First brigade immediately back, forming them in line of battle. I attacked the enemy and drove them about two miles.

Colonel McMillen's brigade behaved most gallantly, and were led by him, he riding in advance of them and cheering them on.

After the enemy had been driven I withdrew my troops and ordered them into camp, leaving the position to be held by Colonel Moore, commanding the Third division.

I cannot speak too highly of the conduct of both officers and men in the several engagements.

I regret to have to report the loss of Colonel Wilken of the Ninth Minnesota, commanding second brigade, who, although he had been with the command but a short time, had already endeared himself to both officers and men by his high-toned bearing and gentlemanly conduct.

I enclose herewith a sketch of the battle-field and reports of brigade commanders.

A list of casualties has already been forward — to you.

I am, Captain,

Very respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

Joseph A. Mower, Brigadier-General Commanding. Captain J. H Hough, Assistant Adjntant-General, Right Wing Sixteenth Army Corps.

Colonel McMillen's report.

Memphis, Tennessee, July 22, 1864.
Captain: In obedience to orders, I moved with my command (the First brigade, First division, Sixteenth Army Corps) on the morning of the first instant to the depot of the Memphis and Charleston railroad, when the Ninth Minnesota infantry, which had been temporarily assigned, joined the brigade. The troops were embarked on the cars, the artillery and train going by road, the former reaching a point near La Fayette, when we encamped for the night. On the morning of the second instant, by order of Brigadier-General Sturgis, I was placed in command of all the infantry connected with the expedition, which was organized as follows:

First brigade: Colonel Alexander Wilken, Ninth Minnesota infantry, commanding; Seventy-second Ohio infantry, veteran volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Charles G. Eaton, commanding; Ninety-fifth Ohio infantry volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Jefferson Brombeck, commanding; One Hundred and Fourteenth Illinois infantry volunteers, Colonel DeWitt C. Thomas,

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 22nd, 1864 AD (1)
15th (1)
2nd (1)
1st (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: