previous next

[686] five o'clock that evening and encamped, learning that the Second brigade would be there also that evening. On the morning of the twenty-ninth I moved my battery across the Black Warrior river, complying with the orders of the division commander, and moving in connection with the division, camped about a mile south of Cane creek and eighteen miles from Elyton. On the morning of the thirtieth, after marching some four miles on the road leading to Elyton, the streams were found to be so much swollen by the rain of the night previous, as to make it impracticable to ford them with my battery, and I was ordered by the division commander to move back on this road, recross Cane creek, and take the road leading to the left, by which I was compelled to make a circuitous march of thirty-six miles to reach Elyton, where I arrived at eight o'clock P. M., but not finding the division at that point, and in the absence of orders, my horses being very much fatigued by the excessive march over bad roads, I encamped; soon after which I learned from Colonel Minty, commanding Second brigade, that he was then with his command about two miles from me, and would move at four o'clock A. M. on the thirty-first. I called on Colonel Minty in person that night, and decided to move in connection with him until I could rejoin the division, which I did at ten o'clock P. M. of April first, at Plantersville, having marched that day forty-nine miles.

Up to this time the only obstacle encountered by my command was the very bad roads, the nature and condition of which is, of course, so well known to the division commander, as to make any description of them unnecessary in this report.

On the morning of April second, at half-past 7 o'clock, I again moved my battery in connection with the division, as per order of the division commander, on the road to Selma, Ala., in front of which I arrived about three o'clock P. M., and took up a position about two miles from the city on the Summerfield road, and awaiting further orders from the division commander. My position at this time was about fourteen hundred (1,400) yards from the strong works of the enemy, behind which he was posted. At about half-past 4 o'clock, at an interview with the division commander, I was notified that the line was about to make the assault upon the works of the enemy, who had already commenced the use of his artillery upon our line. I was further directed to conform the movements of my battery as much as I could to the movements and advance of our line, and to direct my fire so as to produce the most effect upon the enemy, and to render the most assistance to the advance of the line making the assault. I therefore decided that as the line advanced to advance one section of my battery as close to the enemy's works as the nature of the ground would permit, that my fire could be directed with more precision and effect. Noticing movements in the line on my right which I supposed to be an advance, I moved one section forward, about four hundred yards, thus exposing both its flanks to an almost direct fire from the enemy's artillery, while he was using it upon me directly in my front. As I was thus in an advanced and very exposed position with this section, and having mistaken the movement of the line for an immediate advance, I withdrew this section to my first position, and kept up my firing from that point until the line moved forward to the assault, when I moved my whole battery forward to the advance position referred to, replying rapidly to the fire of the enemy's artillery until it was silenced by the close approach of our men to the works, which in a moment more were in their possession. From this advanced position I was able to partially enfilade a long line of the enemy's works on my left, which was being enfiladed by the fire of our forces that had carried the works to my right and front, causing the enemy to seek shelter outside of the breastworks, and between them and the palisades, under the protection of which he was endeavoring to make his escape. Noticing this I directed the fire of two of my guns down this line, and with good effect. At the same time I ordered one section, under Lieutenant Griffin, to advance inside the works, now in our possession, for the purpose of engaging the rebel artillery that had now opened upon our line from works close up to town, riding forward myself to select the position for the section. The road was now being rapidly filled by an advancing column of mounted troops, which prevented this section from getting up as promptly as I desired; but I soon had it in position, closely followed by the balance of my battery and opened upon the inner line of works, which, like the first, was soon in the possession of our troops, and rendering further firing unnecessary.

Receiving no further orders, and having learned that the Brigadier-General commanding had been wounded early in the engagement, I held my battery awaiting orders from his successor, which I received from Colonel R. H. G. Minty late in the evening to go into camp. I have no losses to report during this engagement.

On the morning of April third, by direction of the Colonel commanding division, I proceeded to destroy the captured ordnance along the line of works, of which the following is a memoranda, viz.: thirty-pounder Parrott gun, one; fourteen-pounder iron guns (old model), five; twelve-pounder light guns, four; three-inch rifled guns, three; twelve-pounder howitzers, three; six-pounder rifled guns (brass), two; mountain howitzers, two. Total, twenty guns, with carriages. These guns were spiked, the trunions knocked off of the most of them, rendering them entirely useless until recast. The carriages and limbers, with field caissons, were burned. I also caused to be destroyed about four thousand three hundred rounds of ammunition. On the evening of April fifth I received orders from the Colonel commanding

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
R. H. G. Minty (2)
Robert H. G. Minty (1)
Charles Griffin (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
April 5th (1)
April 3rd (1)
April 2nd (1)
April 1st (1)
31st (1)
30th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: