previous next

“ [514] whom exhibited the utmost ardor and alacrity in the performance of their duty.”

Captain Hood, Captain Clements and Captain Bridges, commanding the battalions, are highly extolled. The latter, though wounded on the thirty-first, remained in command of his battalion.

Captain Mendenhall's report.

headquarters left wing, January 10, 1863.
Major L. Starling, Chief of Staff:
Major: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the artillery in the left wing, from December twenty-six, 1862, to January two, 1863. This army marched from camp, near Nashville, December twenty-sixth; the left wing marching on the Murfreesboro pike.

December 26.
About three P. M., our advance was brought to a stand-still, near Lavergne, by a rebel battery. It was opposed by a section of artillery serving with the cavalry, which being unable to dislodge the enemy, our advance battery (Captain Standart, Battery B, First Ohio) was, after a little delay, put in position and opened fire, soon silencing the enemy.

December 27.
General Hascall took the advance with his brigade, and Lieutenant Estep's Eighth Indiana battery. They marched steadily forward till the enemy were driven across Stewart's Creek; the battery halting only when it was necessary to fire; two pieces were posted near, covering the bridge.

December 28.
Some artillery was so disposed as to check the enemy, should they attempt to destroy or retake the bridge.

December 29.
Lieutenant Parsons, commanding Batteries H and M, Fourth artillery, being in a commanding position, threw a few shells about nine A. M., driving the enemy's picket from the opposite woods. Our column advanced across the bridge at ten A. M., meeting with little resistance till within about three miles of Murfreesboro. Our troops were placed in line of battle as they came up, the artillery remaining with their divisions.

December 30.
About nine A. M., the enemy opened fire upon Captain Cox's Tenth Indiana battery (which was between the pike and the railroad, and in front partially covered by woods). Captain Bradley's Sixth Ohio battery at once took a position to the left of the woods, and in a corn field. The two batteries soon silenced that of the enemy. One shot killed a man near where a number of general and staff officers were standing, and another passing through Battery H, Fourth artillery, killing one man, wounding another, besides disabling a horse.

December 31.
The left wing started to cross Stone River, about eight A. M., but before a division had crossed, intelligence was received that the right was falling back. Colonel Fyffe's brigade, which was about crossing, was ordered to counter-march and move at double-quick to the right. Captain Swallow's Seventh Indiana battery operated for a time with this brigade, shelling the rebel cavalry from the brick hospital. Colonel Beatty's brigade, having recrossed the river, advanced to the support of the right wing; but the Twenty-sixth Pennsylvania battery, Lieutenant Stevens commanding, being unable to follow the brigade through the woods, took a position near the pike, and received the enemy with shot and shell as they advanced after our retreating columns, and I think did his part in checking them. He advanced as they retreated, and took a position in a corn field on the right of the pike near the three-mile post, and again opened upon the enemy. The position of this battery underwent several changes during the rest of the day, but remained in the same immediate vicinity. The Third Wisconsin battery, having recrossed the river with the brigade, took a position commanding the ford, and about twelve M. opened upon the enemy's cavalry, while attempting to drive off some of our wagons which had crossed the river, and were near a hospital we had established on the other side, driving them away with very little booty. The batteries of General Wood's division (Cox's Tenth Indiana, Estep's Eighth Indiana, and Bradley's Sixth Ohio, all under command of Major Race, of the First Ohio artillery) fought with the brigades with which they were serving. I had no occasion to give special orders to them during the day. The batteries of General Palmer's division served with it during the morning, rendering good service. Captain Standart's battery fell back with General Cruft's brigade, and was not again engaged during the day. Captain Cockerell, during the afternoon, was ordered to the front, taking a position in the corn field on the left of the woods where the enemy were making such desperate attempts to force back the left. At this place, Captain Cockerell was severely wounded in the foot, and the command of his battery devolved upon Lieutenant Osburn. Two guns of this battery were disabled from their own firing, the axles being too weak. One of the limbers of this battery was blown up during the day. Lieutenant Parsons, commanding Batteries H and M, Fourth artillery, was ordered up to support the left, about four P. M., and took a position near the railroad. After he had expended all his ammunition, I sent Captain Swallow's Seventh Indiana battery to replace him. These batteries did much to repel the enemy as they advanced with the evident determination to drive us back at all hazards if possible. During the night the batteries were re-supplied with ammunition, and I directed them to take positions, as follows, before daylight, viz.: Lieutenant Livingston, commanding

Gen. Robert B. Potter.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: