In the meantime, Kautz‘ Division accompanied General Weitzel to Richmond, the colored troops of the Twenty-fifth Corps being the first to enter that city. In May, 1865, the corps accompanied General Weitzel to Texas, where it joined the Army of Occupation, and remained until January 8, 1866, when the corps was discontinued, it being the last corps mustered out. Many of the regiments had been previously mustered out in the summer and fall of 1865. In addition to the list of battles belonging properly to the Twenty-fifth Corps, the colored regiments of that command had fought with honor at the Petersburg Assault, the Mine Explosion at Deep Bottom, Chaffin's Farm, Fort Gilmer, Darbytown Road, and Fair Oaks.
（Army of the Potomac.)
- Stoneman's Raid -- Chancellorsville -- Greenwich -- Beverly Ford -- Aldie -- Middleburg -- Upperville -- Hanover -- Gettysrurg -- Monterey -- Fairfield -- Hagerstown -- Williamsport -- Boonsboro -- falling Waters -- Shepherdstown -- Manassas Gap -- Kelly's Ford -- Brandy Station -- Culpeper -- Raccoon Ford -- White's Ford -- Rapidan -- James City -- Whith Sulphur Springs -- Buckland's Mills -- Stevensburg -- Mine Run -- Averell's Raid -- Barnett's Ford -- Kilpatrick's Raid -- Kautz‘ Raid -- Parker's Store -- Todd's Tavern -- North Anna -- Yellow Tavern -- Meadow Bridge -- Milford Station -- Hawes' Shop -- Hanover Court House -- Ashland -- old Church -- Cold Harbor -- Trevilian Station -- St. Mary's Church -- White House Landing -- Nottoway Court House -- Stony Creek -- Wilson's Raid -- Ream's Station -- Staunton Bridge -- Moorefield -- Luray -- White Post -- Smithfield -- Berryville -- Opequon -- Woodstock -- Waynesboro -- New Market -- Tom's Brook -- Cedar Creek -- Hatcher's Run -- Newtown -- Rood's Hill -- Darbytown Road -- Bellefield -- Sheridan's Raid -- Mount Crawford -- Dinwiddie Court House -- five Forks -- Amelia Springs -- Sailor's Creek -- Clover Hill -- Appomattox.
This list covers only the more important of the numerous battles in which the Cavalry of the Army of the Potomac were engaged. It would be almost impossible to enumerate all the minor actions and affairs in which it participated, as not a day passed but, somewhere, at least, a battalion or regiment was under fire. From Beverly Ford to Appomattox, a “dead cavalryman” could have been seen any day of the year in answer to Hooker's famous query. The first organization of the cavalry into one command was made in April, 1863, and Major-General George Stoneman was placed at its head. It numbered 11,402 men present for duty, and was divided into three commands under Generals Pleasanton, Buford and Averell. Stoneman's corps made a raid on the enemy's rear during the Chancellorsville campaign, but, owing to various causes, the movement did not produce the favorable results expected. Hooker, being dissatisfied, relieved Stoneman and put Major-General Alfred Pleasanton in his place. On June 9, 1863, the corps was engaged at Beverly's Ford, Va., in a battle which was largely a cavalry affair on both sides. From this battle dates the efficiency of the cavalry arm of the service in the war. Particular regiments had often demonstrated their efficiency on previous occasions, but until this battle the cavalry had not shown its ability to act as an independent body. Pleasanton took about 9,000 sabres to Beverly Ford, one-third of which, however, were not engaged, Duffie's Division having been detached to hold a position elsewhere. The three divisions were commanded by Generals Buford, Duffie and Gregg. A