previous next

[82] regiments, just organized under the recent call for troops, and its four divisions now numbered 29 regiments, and 5 batteries, with 13,819 present for duty, including the non-combatants.

The battle of South Mountain was fought wholly by Burnside's two corps, the Ninth Corps losing 157 killed, 691 wounded, and 41 missing; total, 889. The loss in the First Corps was about the same. General Reno was killed in this action, upon which General Cox succeeded to his command. At Antietam the corps lost 438 killed, 1,796 wounded, and 115, missing; total, 2,349, out of about 8,500 in action. General Rodman was among the mortally wounded. In October, Cox's Division returned to West Virginia, whence it had been withdrawn to reenforce Pope, and its brief connection with the corps terminated. This division had made a brilliant record by its gallant services at South Mountain and Antietam.

Upon the departure of General Cox the command of the corps fell to General Willcox. General W. W. Burns was appointed to fill the vacancy thus caused in the First Division, and General George W. Getty was placed in command of the Third Division, formerly Rodman's. On November 5, 1862, General Burnside was made commander-in-chief of the Army of the Potomac.

At Fredericksburg, the casualty lists indicate that the corps took into action 31 regiments and 5 batteries, with a loss of 111 killed, 1,067 wounded, and 152 missing; total, total, 1,330. Not long after this battle General Sedgwick was assigned to the command of the corps, and General Willcox returned to the command of his division, relieving General Burns. On February 5, 1863, Sedgwick was succeeded by General W. F. Smith, and on the 12th the corps was ordered to Newport News, where it was pleasantly encamped for a month. General Smith's stay with the corps was of short duration, for he was succeeded in the following month by General John G. Parke. While at Newport News, Getty's (3d) Division was detached and ordered to Suffolk, Va., where it was subsequently incorporated in the Seventh Corps. It never rejoined its old command, although, in 1864, one of its regiments, the Fourth Rhode Island, was restored to the Ninth Corps.

In the meantime, General Burnside had been assigned to the command of the Department of Ohio, a district which included Kentucky and East Tennessee. He obtained permission for the transfer of his old corps to this field of operations, and, so, on the 19th of March, 1863, General Parke was ordered to proceed there with his two remaining divisions, Willcox's and Sturgis's. Just prior to the departure from Virginia, General Sturgis was relieved, and General Robert B. Potter was assigned to the command of the Second Division. The Ninth Corps was stationed in Kentucky for two months, during which it served as an army of occupation, its pleasant quarters and light duty making it the most enjoyable period within its experience. In June it was ordered to the support of Grant, who was then besieging Vicksburg, and proceeding there promptly, it participated in the investment of that place, although not under fire. Upon the surrender of Vicksburg, Parke's two divisions joined the main army in its movement on Jackson, and became engaged in the fighting there, with a loss of 34 killed, 229 wounded, and 28 missing; total, 291. The First Division was then under command of General Thomas Welsh, General Willcox having been assigned to duty in Indiana. Although the Vicksburg campaign had not cost the corps the bloody tribute exacted in previous campaigns, still it was no less destructive of life, as disease made fearful inroads in the ranks. Among those who succumbed to the deadly malaria of the Vicksburg camps, was General Welsh, who, soon after, went home to die.

The corps left Mississippi in August, 1863, and returned to Kentucky, where, after a short rest, it joined in Burnside's advance into East Tennessee, a movement which had already been commenced. The two divisions were now reduced to about 6,000 men. General Parke having been made chief of staff of the Army of the Ohio, General Robert B. Potter succeeded to the command of the corps, with Generals Hartranft and Ferrero in command of the two divisions.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1864 AD (1)
August, 1863 AD (1)
March 19th, 1863 AD (1)
February 5th, 1863 AD (1)
November 5th, 1862 AD (1)
October (1)
June (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: