This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 In 1665 Capt. Cooke's mill-lane is named in a deed of John Brown, of Marlboroa, to Robert Wilson, conveying his dwellinghouse and barn with six acres of land, J. Adams east, Charles. town line north, Capt. Cooke's mill-lane west, William Bull south, Oct. 27, 1665. See Paige, 502.
This mill-lane was a portion of the road laid out from Watertown line to Cooke's Mill at Menotomy in 1638. The ‘mill-lane’ is now Water street in Arlington. 1691. Sarah Hill, relict and administratrix of Jacob Hill, late of Cambridge (who died 12 Dec. 1690), deeds to William Cutter, carpenter, April 10, 1691, eight acres in Cambridge; north William Cutter, east the highway that leads from the mill-gate to Concord Road, south with Concord Road, and west with land of Mr. William Manning. The ‘highway that leads from the mill-gate to Concord Road,’ is the ‘mill-lane,’ once Capt. Cooke's, now known as Water street. William Cutter was the son of Richard Cutter, and the nephew of William Cutter mentioned in the first paragraphs of this chapter. The bargain for the above eight acres was made and possession given ‘about one year now past’—‘the sale being first made by said Jacob Hill before his death.’ It is interesting to state that the original deed is extant, as one of a parcel of old plans, deeds and will of William Cutter, who died here 1 April, 1723, in his 74th year, father of Richard, John, William, Samuel and Ammi Ruhamah Cutter, and four daughters of adult age. The ‘mill-lane,’ and its relation to the ‘Great Road to Boston,’ are shown in a plan of William Cutter's lands made about 1725. 1695. The highway to Cooke's mill, by Cutter's, was in litigation —specified as ‘from Concord Road to Capt. Cooke's Mill, now in possession of William Cutter.’—County Court Records. The ‘Road from Cutter's Mill to Watertown’ is named in the Proprietors' Records of Cambridge before 1720. In the same records mention is made, in 1689, of Samuel Bull and the land adjoining his house lot, alleging what great damage he should sustain, if the highway to the mill should be laid by his land, by reason of the great fall of water in winter time, which would hinder all passage to and from his house; Robert Wilson's heirs' houselot adjoined to said Bull, butting on Concord Road, and three poles at the other end next the mill; the highway to the mill being then laid between this land and Jacob Hill's, and is in breadth seven poles. Robert Wilson died probably about 1685 (Paige, 694). Samuel Bull was a party to the litigation of 1695.1
1 In the plan of 1725 the millstream from the present Fowle's Mills to its outlet in Mystic Pond is shown under the name of ‘Bull's Creek.’ Samuel Bull sold twelve acres in Charlestown and Cambridge, lot late of Samuel Bull's bro.in-law William Godding, Mrs. Bull's portion, bounded north Mystic Pond, west Mill Brook, east Robert Wilson, south William Cutter, to Mary. Bathrick, alias Boyce, and Samuel Godding, 1724. S. Bull brought up Mary Boyce—his adopted daughter, per his will, 1723,—she marrying John Bathrick, 1724. A lot, formerly of William Bull (see Wyman's Chs. 149), came to S. Bull's possession in 1704-5. Part of S. Bull's estate came into John Cutter's possession, 1737-38; and Elizabeth Bathrick (John's dau.) sold Simon Holden another portion bounded north on Medford lower pond, 1746. See Wyman's Chs.; Paige's Camb. 504; and Goddin Family in Genralogies.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.