St. Malachy's Church (Roman Catholic
formerly attended divine service in St. Peter's Church, Cambridge
In the year 1869 their increasing number induced the Rev. M. P. Dougherty
, pastor of that Church, to organize an independent congregation and build a church edifice for Arlington
This building was used for the first time on Christmas day, 1870.
It was not, however, formally dedicated until September, 1874, when it received the title of St. Malachy.
Rev. Mr. Dougherty
retained charge of the new parish until January 1st, 1873, when the Rev. J. M. Finotti
was appointed to succeed him. Under his administration a parochial residence was purchased, and various improvements made in the church.
He was assisted by Revs. J. B. Galvin
and M. D. Murphy
Continued ill health obliged him in April, 1876, to resign his charge.1
The present pastor is Rev. M. Harkins
, who is assisted by Rev. J. J. O'Brien
the Methodist Society.—About 1872, a Society of this denomination was formed, and has since held religious services in various halls in the town.
Rev. J. W. Owens
was their first minister.
At present, most of the congregation attend worship at a church in West Medford.
St. John's Church (Episcopal).—In 1875 religious services were first held in Arlington
in conformity to the Liturgy of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States
Efforts were soon made to erect a chapel, which has since been completed.
A parish has been organized, and now awaits admission into union with the Convention of the Diocese of Massachusetts
. The Rev. D. G. Haskins
, S. T. D., is the officiating Rector