In 1811 a committee was chosen to petition the legislature for the exclusive right and privilege of taking, preserving and disposing of shad and alewives in the river or streams running from Spy or Menotomy Pond (so called) in this town, to Charlestown line. The act thus procured was repealed in 1823. In 1811 the selectmen were directed to build a powder-house within the limits of the town in such place as they shall judge proper. “The powder-house, a cheap brick structure, stood on the left-hand bank of Spring Valley (at the south part of the town), near the brink of the hill where the valley empties into Spy Pond, so that in case of explosion the contents might be blown into the pond.” J. B. Russell.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.