This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
1 The Middle, or Central School House stood on the Common, west of the Meeting-House, and nearly or quite half way from the Meeting-House and Nathan Robbins's present property. The rear end of the school-house abutted on the brick-wall of the long range of tombs erected in 1810 and 1811, and the school-house was removed to allow the extension of the tombs. The moving of the house cost about twenty dollars.—J. B. Russell. The town directed the selectmen to procure a piece of land, and remove the Central School House thereon, Sept. 3, 1810.About this time (1808-1810) the meeting-house of Dr. Fiske's Society was struck by lightning, which ran down the rod on the steeple till it got below the range of the eaves, when it struck off at a right angle, stripping off a clapboard nearly around the house, giving it a grotesque appearance.—J. B. Russell.
2 The September gale, in 1815, took off about one-third of the roof of Dr. Fiske's Meeting House, landing it in the road, near the house where T. J. Russell now lives. The repairs on the meeting-house in 1817, were merely strengthening the steeple, by braces of timber, hoisted up above the belfry, as the steeple had begun to lean towards the road and looked dangerous.—J B. Russell.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.