This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 from the mill to Watertown (Paige, 54); the Great Swamp extended on both sides of Menotomy River (Paige, 55, note).
Fence viewers were first elected for Menotomy fields in 1649 (Paige, 56). The Great Swamp lying within the bounds of Cambridge, on the east side of Fresh Pond Meadow and Menotomy Brook, was divided into allotments by vote of the town, in 1658 (Paige, 96). A lawsuit about fishing in Menotomy River, established the right of Cambridge to take fish in that river, in 1681, which privilege has remained unimpaired to the present time (Paige, 97-8). Edward Randolph, the ‘arch-enemy of the colony,’ attempted to obtain possession of seven hundred acres of land near Spy Pond, in 1688 (Paige, 103, &c.). In 1656 Thomas Ross, a Scotchman, and a servant to Edward Winship, had liberty to mow the grass in the swamp anent the north end of Spy Pond (Paige, 646). Andrew Beard was chosen hog-reeve for Menotomy, 1692 (Paige, 486). Jonathan Butterfield was field-driver for Menotomy fields, 1693 (Paige, 505). Jacob Chamberlin was chosen hog-reeve for Menotomy, in 1695 (Paige, 506). Offices once of greater significance than at present. A transfer from Holden to Prentice of a large part of the Holden Farm, bounded south on Fresh Pond and east on Alewife Brook, being the former southeasterly corner of Arlington, occurred in 1729 (Paige, 631). Justinian Holden had bought of Nathaniel Sparhawk's executors 289 acres, bounded S. on Fresh Pond and E. on Alewife River, in 1653 (Paige, 586).
John Adams bought of Mr. Joseph Cooke (brother of Colonel George Cooke) of Stannaway, co. Essex, England, by deed in the seventeenth year of King Charles II., 1664, thirteen acres meadow and upland lying by 'Notomy River, abutting on highway leading from Cambridge to Concord east; west the swamp-ground leading to Fresh Pond Meadow, south Menotomy River, north on said swamp toward Spy Pond. Edward Winship was attorney for Cooke, May 17, 1665.—Proprietors' Records. (See Paige, 513.)
John Adams's farm, 1664, is mentioned in the Proprietors' Records, laid out to a farm of one hundred and seventeen acres, by him purchased of Golden Moore, and is situated on the waste lands in the seventh mile, bounded northeast with Widow Russell's farm purchased of Richard Jackson, east with Alewive meadow, south Joseph Holmes, west with common land, northwest with Mr. Pelham's farm; with allowance for the great road or highway that leads to Concord. Surveyed by David Fiske, at the appointment of Lieut. Edward Winship,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.