This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 1756; Peter, bap. 14 Jan. 1759; Daniel, b. 17, bap. 28 Dec. 1760; Joshua, b. 17 Feb., bap. 8 May, 1763; Isaac, b. 27 Feb., bap. 31 Mar. 1765. Isaiah the father d. 11 Mar. 1768, a. 40. A nurse child at Isaiah's (from Boston), d. 15 Oct. 1762, a. 6 mos. His wid. Eliza-Beth had after his death, a son, Henry, b. 10, bap. 11 Aug. 1768, d. 12 Sept. 1769, a. 12 mos. 1 day. Wid. Elizabeth m. Edward Fillebrown, 7 Dec. 1775. See Bond's Wat., 463, 940; Wyman's Chas., 897. 2. Stephen, bro. of Isaiah (1), had wife—. adm. Pct. ch. 1 Oct. 1758. Had son, Stephen, b. 17, bap. 20 June. 1756; Ruth, bap. 17 Dec. 1758; John, bap. 13 Dec. 1761; Persis, b. 24 Nov., bap. 4 Dec. 1763; Joshua, b. 3, bap. privately 19 Jan. 1766. An infant of Stephen, d. 28 Sept. 1764. and a nurse child at Stephen's, Senior, d. 9 Jan. 1757, a. 6 mos. Stephen belonged to the Baptist Society, 1787. See Bond's Wat., 462-63, 940; Wyman's Chas., 896, 897. 3. Benjamin, s. of Wid. Stearns (1), d. 8 Sept. 1770, a. 20. 4. Isaiah, s. of Wid. Isaiah (1), d. 1 Aug. 1770 (age not given). 5. Joshua, s. of Wid. S., at Mr. Adams's, d. 9 Nov. 1749, a. 9 yrs. Phineas, of Waltham, in. Mary Wellington, of Camb., 9 July, 1761. Bond's Wat., 499. 6. Stephen, s. of Stephen (2), d. 16 Dec. 1817, a. 66. Bond's Wat., 462-3; Wyman, 897. He was prob. the Stephen, a Baptist, in Menotomy, 1787. 7. Abner, m. Mrs. Anna Estabrook, of W. Camb., 7 Aug. 1808. Abner and w. Anna were adm. Pct. ch. 23 June, 1806. Ann, w. of Abner (his second wife), was adm. same ch. 5 Nov. 1809. Anna (the first wife of Abner), d. here 22 Oct. 1807, a. 32. He had Mary Ann Hill, bap. 12 Nov. 1809; Edward Harrison, bap. 27 Feb. 1814; George Sullivan, bap. 9 June, 1816. Also Abner, Albert T. and Henry A. See Bond's Wat., 472-3.1 8. Harriet, m. John Augustus, of Lexington, 6 Nov. 1817.
1 In 1806 Abner Stearns of Billerica bought a lot of land of Ephraim Cook, which in 1808 he sold to John Tufts, with a woolen factory and machinery thereon. Mr. Stearns then bought another lot, about one-third of a mile above his original purchase, and by digging a canal half a mile long, created a good water power, and established a thrifty business in carding wool. He soon added a grist mill, afterward altered into one for grinding and bolting yellow ochre for paints, and a machine for chipping dye woods. In 1811 he erected a large building in the rear of his dwelling-house, and directly over the brook, where he had a machine shop, and made several hundred machines for splitting leather, believed to be the first ever used for this purpose; also agricultural implements. He had previously invented a machine for dyeing silk, since in general use for that purpose. In the same building he had a fulling mill, and a spinning jenny of seventy-two spindles. The yarn spun was taken elsewhere, and made into broadcloth. The peace of 1815, however, broke up this business, owing to excessive importation of British cloths. In 1816 Mr. Stearns removed from West Cambridge to his old homestead in Billerica, where he died in 1838. He was an ingenious mechanic, and an upright, excellent, enterprising citizen. In 1832 he sold to James Schouler, of Lynn, Mass., a calico printer, his place in West Cambridge, with the dwelling-house, factory, mill privilege, &c. They were destroyed by fire in 1873 or ‘74.—J. B. R.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.