previous next

[157] corps, with Capt. Ingalls, immediately re-visited New York and were incorporated into the 40th Regiment of New York Volunteers.1 W. H. Pattee, James A. Bailey, Alfred M. Thorpe, and Daniel Bennem, citizens of the town, were connected with the 5th Regiment Mass. Militia, and accompanied the regiment into immediate service.

In 1861 the upper story of the old Centre School House was leased to the Sons of Temperance.2


A public meeting was held Feb. 22, 1862, in response to the proclamation of the President of the United States, to listen to the reading of Washington's Farewell Address. A particular account of the meeting was entered on the town records.
The schools of the town at this time were the Northwest Grammar, Intermediate and Primary; the Russell Grammar, Intermediate and Primary; and the East District School.

July 22, 1862, in obedience to a call for soldiers for three years, the selectmen were authorized to offer and pay in addition to the United States bounty and State Aid, the sum of $125 to each and every volunteer that may offer, to the number of thirty-one; the bounty to be paid when the men were sworn into the United States service,— the selectmen and four others to act as a recruiting committee. The town's quota was thirty-three, and that number was furnished at a cost of $4,060.63.3

1 Report of Military Expenditures during the War, entered on the town records.

2 There was a Washingtonian Society here in 1848.

3 At this meeting, July 22, 1862, the town passed resolves, which were placed on the town records, tendering their kindest sympathy to Major Albert S. Ingalls, in hospital at Annapolis, Md., who had recently lost a limb on the field of battle before Richmond. Also, of greeting to Lieut. Francis Gould. Lieut. John Locke, Lieut. Charles H. Graves, and others, ‘our friends and neighbors,’ now resting on their laurels near the field of battle before Richmond. At the same meeting, Thomas Braslin, a member of the West Cambridge company, having a furlough in consequence of a wound received at the battle of Fair Oaks, being present, was called upon to address the meeting, and responded in a speech full of patriotism. A collection was taken up for him, amounting to $44.27.

Albert S. Ingalls, born in Rindge, N. H., Dec. 29, 1830, was a lawyer, and removed from Fitchburg to West Cambridge in 1869. The quota of Massachusetts being full, his company and himself offered their services to the State of New York, and were mustered into the 40th Regiment of N. Y. Vols. (known as the Mozart Regiment), which joined the army in Virginia. After the battle of Williamsburg he was promoted major of the regiment, and during the fighting before Richmond received a wound on June 30, 1862, by which he lost a leg and eventually his life. He was removed to Annapolis, Md., where he died Aug. 11, 1862. His remains were first brought to West Cambridge, where they were received by the town authorities and citizens with every demonstration of respect, and then conveyed to Fitchburg, and thence to Rindge, N. H. . where his funeral took place—See History of Rindge, N. H., for an extended sketch.

Lieut. John Locke, of the 40th New York Regt died Sept. 22, 1862, aged 39, —gravestone in Arlington.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: