corps, with Capt. Ingalls, immediately re-visited New York and were incorporated into the 40th Regiment of New York Volunteers.1 W. H. Pattee, James A. Bailey, Alfred M. Thorpe, and Daniel Bennem, citizens of the town, were connected with the 5th Regiment Mass. Militia, and accompanied the regiment into immediate service. In 1861 the upper story of the old Centre School House was leased to the Sons of Temperance.2
1862A public meeting was held Feb. 22, 1862, in response to the proclamation of the President of the United States, to listen to the reading of Washington's Farewell Address. A particular account of the meeting was entered on the town records.
The schools of the town at this time were the Northwest Grammar, Intermediate and Primary; the Russell Grammar, Intermediate and Primary; and the East District School. July 22, 1862, in obedience to a call for soldiers for three years, the selectmen were authorized to offer and pay in addition to the United States bounty and State Aid, the sum of $125 to each and every volunteer that may offer, to the number of thirty-one; the bounty to be paid when the men were sworn into the United States service,— the selectmen and four others to act as a recruiting committee. The town's quota was thirty-three, and that number was furnished at a cost of $4,060.63.3