previous next

[70] Jason Russell and eleven comrades in death were interred in one grave, without coffins, in the Precinct burying ground, and in the clothes in which they fell. Smith says they were laid ‘head to point.’ The tradition is that Capt. William Adams, who lived near by, brought a sheet from his house, to be wrapped round Russell's body at the interment, saying he could not bear to have his neighbor buried before his eyes without a winding sheet. The names of only three of the occupants of this grave, and these belonging to what is since West Cambridge and Arlington, are at present known.

A plain obelisk of pure New Hampshire granite, about nineteen feet in height above the level ground, and encircled by a plain substantial stone and iron fence, which now stands above the grave, contains this inscription, inserted in the main shaft of the monument on a marble tablet:

‘Erected by the Inhabitants of West Cambridge, A. D. 1848, over the common grave of Jason Russell, Jason Winship, Jabez Wyman and nine others, who were slain in this town by the British Troops on their retreat from the Battles of Lexington and Concord, April 19th, 1775. Being among the first to lay down their lives in the struggle for American Independence.’1

The Danvers men, by being thus surrounded at Menotomy, lost heavily of their number. Their slain, seven in all—see their names in a previous note—were buried in their own town. Two were wounded-Nathan Putnam and Dennison Wallis. One, Joseph Bell, was missing after the battle, being taken prisoner

1 See history of the town, under 1848. The monument was erected June 24, 1848. The remains of the twelve occupants of the common grave were disinterred, and placed in a stone vault, now under the monument, April 22, 1848. The monument was cut from Concord granite at Mr. Luther Roby's stoneyard, at Concord, N. H.—See Frothingham's Siege of Boston, p. 83; Bouton's Hist. Concord, N. H, p. 484.

The Salem Gazette for May 5, 1775, states, ‘On Thursday the twentieth past, the bodies of eleven of the unfortunate persons who fell in the battle, were collected together and buried at Medford.’ Menotomy is occasionally confounded with Medford by Essex county writers on the battle.

On the morning of the 20th, Capt. John Battle, of Dedham, was ordered with his company of militia, to pass over the ground which had been the scene of action the preceding day, and bury such of the slain as he should find unburied.— Heath.

The British dead were, many of them, buried near the wall and close to the brook which runs through the old grave-yard, in the spot used for the burial-place of the slaves.—Smith.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1848 AD (2)
June 24th, 1848 AD (1)
April 22nd, 1848 AD (1)
May 5th, 1775 AD (1)
April 19th, 1775 AD (1)
20th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: