previous next

[145] until it should be determined whether or not they should petition the Legislature for a road over the one surveyed to West Cambridge, to extend to Lexington. Such a project had already been determined upon, and in view of these circumstances, the committee asked to be discharged from the subject matter, which was done. A petition for the West Cambridge Branch Road, signed by Timothy Wellington and others, was presented to the Legislature, and an order of notice was passed January 17, 1845.

At a hearing of both petitions from the citizens of the respective towns, in March following, before the committee of the Legislature, Hon. G. Washington Warren appearing for the Lexington petition, and W. W. Warren for that of West Cambridge, it was agreed by a compromise, that the two enterprises should be merged in one, and an act of incorporation was prepared and presented in the same month, which, in the House Document No. 48, was passed under the title of ‘the Lexington and West Cambridge Branch Rail Road.’

Under the Act the first meeting of the new corporation took place at Cutler's tavern in Lexington, April 14, 1845. Larkin Turner was chosen President, and W. W. Warren, Secretary. The act of incorporation was accepted, and a committee of nine was chosen to cause books of subscription to be opened, first of May, 1845, to the capital stock, not to exceed $200,000. This committee consisted of Benjamin Muzzey and Samuel Chandler, of Lexington; Doctor T. Wellington and John Schouler, of West Cambridge; John Wesson and John W. Mulliken, of Charlestown; Edward Munroe and Otis Dana, of Boston; and J. W. Simonds, of Bedford. The meeting then adjourned to meet in Parish Hall at West Cambridge, April 21, to confer with its citizens.

This conference meeting was largely attended, and indicated a mutual interest and good feeling of the citizens of both towns. Benjamin Muzzey, who presided (Mr. Warren acting as secretary), stated that no business was contemplated at this meeting but only an interchange of views desired. Estimates were discussed, and harmony prevailed in the discussion, indicating a prompt action and successful commencement of the road, which by the compromise act was to be finished and running from West Cambridge within one year from date of the act, or its charter be void. The adjournment of this meeting was the finality of the series preceding the organization of the road under its charter.


The town disposed of the stone house and wall standing on the training-field, at public auction. A committee of eleven was appointed this year to name the several streets and avenues in the town. A survey of the several streets in town was made in 1852.


Isaac Hill, the well-known politician and governor of New Hampshire, published a sketch of West Cambridge in the

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
New Hampshire (New Hampshire, United States) (1)
Bedford, Mass. (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1852 AD (1)
May 1st, 1845 AD (1)
April 14th, 1845 AD (1)
January 17th, 1845 AD (1)
April 21st (1)
March (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: