previous next


Early measures, also, were taken to build a meeting-house (July 10, 1733), and the parcel of land lying between Mr. Jason Russell's pasture and Ebenezer Swan's field, which was reserved out of the commons for a burying-place, was selected as the most convenient place for the meeting-house to stand, and near the northeasterly corner of the same. The sum of three hundred pounds was raised by vote (Sept. 17, 1733) for defraying the charge of building a meeting-house in this Precinct; the structure to be 46 feet long and 36 feet wide, and 24 feet upon the post between the joists; also to have a suitable belfry. A building committee of five was chosen, viz., James Cutler, John Cutter, Ephraim Frost, Henry Dunster and Jonathan Butterfield, Jr. At this date Francis Locke, Jonathan Gates1 and Josiah Robbins were chosen a committee to provide for a reading and writing school in the Precinct.

The following Charlestown inhabitants entered into agreement on Oct. 8, 1733, to assist in building the meeting-house, ‘near Mr. Joseph Adams's,’ on land ‘which hath been left for a burying-place;’ and also for settling and supporting preaching in the Precinct; viz., Samuel Cutter, George Cutter, Samuel Godding, Joseph Russell, William Dickson, Philip Carteret and David Dunster.


On April 1, this year, the venerable Rev. John Hancock of Lexington, and grandfather of the celebrated Gov. John Hancock, baptized Thomas Osborn; ‘and this was the first child baptized in the congregation at the school-house at Menotomy.’ This congregation had probably first united to spend a part of the evening of the Lord's day in worship in this place (Sermon by Rev. S. Cooke in 1772). The origin of the schoolhouse was probably as follows: At Cambridge, Jan. 16, 1692-3, ‘it was voted whether the town would give to Menotomy people a quarter of an acre of land upon our common, near Jason Russell's house, near the highway, for the accommodation of a school-house; and it was voted on the affirmative, so long as it was improved for that use, and no longer.’—Paige.

1 See Paige's Camb. 658, and Wyman's Charlestown, 403. He removed to Worcester.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Menotomy (Massachusetts, United States) (2)
Worcester (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: