previous next



The first meeting-house was built. The area of the building was 50 by 40 feet (Rev. Dr. Fiske), and it stood just seventy years. See dimensions given under 1732. The Precinct by vote authorized that there be seventeen pews in the meeting-house besides the ministerial pew, which was next the pulpit-stairs, but allowed no more. The holders of pew-lots on Sept. 2, 1734, were Rev. John Whiting, John Cutter, Henry Dunster, Jason Russell, Ephraim Frost, James Cutler, Joseph Adams, Jonathan Butterfield, Joseph Winship, Rev. Nathaniel Appleton, Abraham Hill, John Swan, Joseph Russell, William Dickson, Samuel Cutter, and John Winship.

Mar. 4, 1733-4, the standing committee were authorized to provide preaching. A Mr. Smith was preaching here in 1734; possibly Rev. William Smith, H. U. 1725, who inherited a farm in this vicinity, and who was settled pastor of the First Church in Weymouth, 1734. His estate in this neighborhood was taxed in 1727 and 1736. See Wyman's Charlestown, 874-5. He was father-in-law of President John Adams. Rev. John Whiting mentioned in this year, like Dr. Appleton, may have been a proprietor of lands in the Precinct only, and non-resident.1

May 1, 1734, one hundred pounds was granted by vote to support preaching the present year.

A gift of fifty pounds from various individuals in 1734 was made toward building the meeting-house. Capt. Samuel Hendley, named on records here in 1733, gave fifteen pounds of this amount;—a forgotten benefactor of the Precinct.2


On the first day of Feb. 1735, the first meeting-house of the Precinct was ‘opened and consecrated.’ On April 13, 1735, the Rev. John Hancock records, ‘I baptized at 'Notomy Mercy Osborn.’

As the Rev. Mr. Appleton, minister of Cambridge First Parish, had previously by vote of the inhabitants of this Precinct, been desired ‘to preach with us on the first Sabbath in February ’

1 Thomas Whittemore's intention to fence land belonging to Mr. John Whiting, by Cambridge Rocks, mentioned, 1702-3.—Proprietors' Records. Rev. John Whiting, of Concord, is mentioned in same records, 1767.

2 For sketch of Hendley and descendants, see Wyman's Charlestown Genealogies and Estates, pp. 493, 494. A wealthy family.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Weymouth (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Concord (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: