previous next



In 180Q the Second Parish in Cambridge contained 4,345 acres, 118 rods.—Holmes, quoted by Paige. There were two school-houses in this Parish in 1800.—Ibid.


The money raised for charges of the Precinct, was four hundred dollars in 1801.

It was voted this year to repair the posts and rails in the front of the meeting-house, and set out such trees as the standing committee thought proper, at the expense of the Precinct.

A ‘Receipt for the School House, and built by Menotomy Meeting House,’ dated Cambridge, Nov. 6, 1801, communicated by Mr. J. B. Russell, certifies that the subscribers, ‘being appointed a committee to inspect the building of the School House in the Northwest Middle School District in Cambridge, have examined the said house and do agree with Mr. John Estabrook to accept the same in behalf of the said district, as sufficiently done for the money he has received, and have no other demand on him on account thereof. Wm. Whittemore, Jr., Josiah Whittemore, Caleb Cole, Committee.’ The Central School House was removed on to the run, or water-course, in the Burying Ground, in 1810.


Oct. 10, 1803, the Precinct voted to build a new meeting-house.

The Middlesex Union Society, which met quarterly for the purposes of mutual friendship and improvement, was instituted here Jan. 31, 1803.—Fiske. This is spoken of as a very pleasant social affair, the members meeting at each other's houses.


Jan. 9, 1804, it was voted to build a house seventy feet long and fifty-six feet wide and thirty feet posts, all of wooden materials. Samuel Butterfield, Jeduthun Wellington, George Prentiss, John Adams, and William Whittemore, Jr., were the building committee of the new meeting-house. The old house was sold at auction. The body to William Whittemore, Jr., for $440; the tower to John Tufts, for $115; the porch to Samuel Watson, for $75—making in the whole, $630.1

1 Among the materials sold, Mr. J. B Russell remembered seeing an old gilt vane five or six feet long. The ‘first meeting-house’ purchased by William Whittemore, Esq., at auction, and moved to lot opposite the residence of late minister Cooke,. was made into a three-story dwelling and rented. It was next sold to Samuel Whittemore, of New York, brother of William; and eventually to Ammi Cutter; then to Abel G. Peck, who divided it, and removed it, one half at a time, to the spot where it now rests. The frame of the old church was of oak, hence very strong and heavy. William Whittemore gave about $440 for the body of the house, which he moved entire—T. J. Whittemore.

It is now the dwelling-house of Mr. Charles O. Gage, on Pleasant Street, near Belmont line. The second church edifice was torn down in 1840. The succeeding structure, built on the same site, was burnt Jan. 1, 1866, and the present house is its successor.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: