A preliminary celebration of the change in the name of the town, was made on May 1, 1867, by a salute of one hundred guns, the ringing of bells and a general display of the national colors.
A mass meeting was held in the evening at the Town Hall
, where music was furnished by the Arlington Band
, and addresses by prominent citizens were made.
A more formal demonstration was held on June 17, 1867, carried out in fine style, and in most respects according to a published programme.
Appropriate decorations were placed throughout the town, the bells were rung at sunrise, and flags on the public staffs and private residences were unfurled for the day. A cavalcade of citizens received the invited guests, including the governor of the State
and other functionaries, escorted by the National Lancers
, at eleven o'clock, at the entrance of the town a few rods beyond Alewife Brook
, and piloted them to the centre of the town, where a salute was fired by a section of a State battery.
A procession, under the marshalship of Addison Gage
, was formed, comprising mounted police, bands, the National Lancers
, civil officers
of the town and state, the legislature, masonic organizations, soldiers of 1812 and the late war, children of the public schools, representation of trades, citizens in carriages, and a cavalcade, in all over a mile and a half in length.
It passed through the principal streets, and a collation was afterward partaken of by the school children in a large tent on the common near the Unitarian Church, and by the invited guests in a mammoth tent on the grounds of J. R. Bailey
, on Pleasant Street. Dinner was prepared by J. B. Smith
, and speeches were made by Governor Bullock
, the Hon. Charles Sumner
, Richard H. Dana, Jr.
, Generals Foster
, and Commodore Rodgers
and General Banks
of the late war. A poem, written by Mr. J. T. Trowbridge
for the occasion, was read by Prof. M. T. Brown
The celebration closed with a regatta of Harvard
students on the lake.