Note.—The foregoing, submitted to Mr. J. L. Sibley, Harv.
Univ., evolved the following matters of explanation: ‘Rev. D.’
implies a latinized abbreviation, signifying ‘Rev. Mr.’; ‘Rev. D. D.’—‘Rev. Dr.’ Messrs. Mayhew and Marsh are probably—Joseph Mayhew, Tutor H. U. from 1739 to 1755; Thomas Marsh, Tutor H. U. from 1741 to 1766.
Porter—Rev. John Porter grad.
1736, one year after S. C.; and Eliot—Andrew Eliot, perhaps, H. U. 1737, ord. Boston, 1742.
Flynt—may be the grad.
Classes not being very large, and all being required to go to prayers, and meeting together, and being naturally thrown together, much because of the difficulty of getting to Boston, and the small number of families in Cambridge for the students to associate with, there must have been a good deal of familiarity among all undergraduates.
Six pounds were raised this year for the necessary expenses of the Precinct.
The remarks found in the Rev. Mr. Cooke
's diary are continued:
1742, Jan. 3.—P. M., went to Boston, visited Mr. Allen, Phillips, Eliot, Hurd—cui pecun.
red. £ 14; returned by the way of Cambridge; called on Mr. Emerson, Mayhew, Gay, Wheelwright.
The sea between Boston and Charlestown was as firm for passage as the solid ground.
Jan. 4.—Heard Mr. Will.
Fessenden twice, Ps. 89:7, and Num. 23: 10—at home.
The prudential committee of the Precinct is this year reduced from five members to three.
Out of five deaths recorded in the Northwest Precinct
for this year, two were of persons who hanged themselves, viz., ‘Caesar Cutter
.—who hanged himself—June 26, 1743, aged 30 yrs.,’ and ‘Joseph Bemis
—who hanged himself—Aug. 21, 1743.’
In 1743 it was voted to keep the public school in the Precinct near the meeting-house, on that land which was left for a burying-place, after a convenient house is erected for that purpose, and a committee was chosen to decide on a place for setting the school-house.
Under date of June 28, 1744, Mr. Cooke
preached a sermon (numbered ‘296’) which he entitled, ‘Fast day on ye war.’
The text was Rev.
2:5. The sermon had a second delivery on April 29, 1756.
It contains no particular historical reference.
There are allusions to Jer. 17: 24-27, as having been written in letters of gold on one of