the Centre and Southeast Districts, is accomplished, and new school-houses erected.
1889This year guide-posts are mentioned, and wells in the public highways.
1840The town voted to allow the members of the Friendship Engine, their poll tax from the year 1828.
1841The Parish Hall is used for town meetings at this period. The selectmen are a committee, in 1841, to sell or otherwise dispose of the Old Centre School-house, the Engine House and the Engine Friendship.
1842A school-house is built on land purchased for the purpose in the South District, and the land where the former school-house stood, and the former house, are sold. The town voted to dispose of the school-house near Miles Gardner's.
1843The town voted not to appropriate the Lower Common for a Burial Ground. The town purchased the lot on Medford Street, where the present cemetery now is, for a new Burying Ground.1 District School Libraries are mentioned in the town records this year.
1845The Lexington and West Cambridge Railroad Company was incorporated March 24, 1845.
The early History of the Lexington and West Cambridge Rail Road, before the organization under its charter, has been prepared from the papers in possession of Wm. Wilkins Warren of Boston, a native of West Cambridge, who, then residing in this town, took an active part in the proceedings of its citizens in that Road. To them belongs the credit of originating the measures which led to the realization of the enterprise.