preaching on the ensuing Sabbath at Miss Bradshaw's house.
Services were held in the meeting-house of the Baptist Society four Sabbath evenings, and a hall was afterward used as a place of worship.
Nov. 20, 1842, a meeting was held at a private house to consider the expediency of forming a church, and it was unanimously voted expedient to organize an Orthodox Congregational Church in West Cambridge
A council for the purpose was held Dec. 14, 1842, and the public services of the organization were held in the Baptist Church. Nov. 29, 1844, the Society dedicated its meeting-house; the lot on which it stands being the generous gift of Miss Anna Bradshaw
The house, after being repaired and enlarged at an expense equalling its original cost, was re-opened for worship on Nov. 15 1857.1
The ministers of this Society have been:—
Francis Horton, installed May 17, 1843; dismissed March 29, 1854. Daniel R. Cady, installed Feb. 14, 1856; dismissed July 1, 1877.
J. Lewis Merrill, present minister, installed Jan. 3, 1878.
The deacons of the church previous to 1859, were—
Luke Wyman and Miles Gardner, elected 1842.
John Field2 and Joseph Burrage, elected 1857.