or cavalry-man (p. 398); on Nov. 26, 1675, Gershom Cutter (brother of William, and a Menotomy resident) was impressed with others from Cambridge, for service in Philip's or the Narragansett War (p. 399); the names of several private soldiers who served in this war, some of whom were probably from Menotomy, are given (Paige, 399); for instance: Matthew Abdy, Thomas Batherick, Samuel Buck, Samuel Bull, Jonathan Dunster, Justinian Holden, Jason Russell, William Russell, Gershom Swan, John Wellington.
A list of taxpayers in Menotomy, from a Cambridge list of persons and estates, taken in the month of August, 1688, given by Paige, 442-43, &c., furnishes the following names of persons who resided and had estate here at that date, and of some who had estate here, but were not resident. The names of those taxed for person and estate are Matthew Abdee, or Abdy, John Adams, Samuel Buck, Richard Cutter and his sons William, Gershom and Nathaniel Cutter, William Dickson and John Dickson, Jonathan Dunster (person and doom), James Hubbard, Israel Mead, Nathaniel Patten, Joseph Russell and his brothers William and Jason Russell, Jonathan Saunders, John Wellington, Edward Winship and Joseph Winship (sons of Lieut. Edward Winship). Those persons taxed for estate here only, were Thomas Hall, Justinian Holden, and Lieut. Edward Winship. Sketches of all the above persons are given in the Genealogical Register of Paige's History.
The town granted Menotomy people a quarter of an acre of land, upon their common, near Jason Russell's house, near the highway, for the accommodation of a school-house (Paige, 373).
Some entries from the Proprietors' Records of Cambridge are here inserted, to show a few transactions of interest relating to this part of the town. 1689. The names of the inhabitants who are not proprietors, who have granted to them lands at Menotomy: Abraham Watson, John Dickson, Samuel Cooke, Philip Cooke, Joseph Adams, Gershom Cutter, William Cutter, Jonathan Dunster. Ministry Lot, 1689. Forty acres for the ministry, bounded Concord Road northeast, the small farms northwest, common land yet undivided southwest, last range of lots, &c., southeast. Jason Russell bought Mr. Pelham's lot of twenty acres in the first Division of the Rocks, and fenced the same for his particular improvement, 1689.