1704. William Cutter having a dam made over a brook, called Landing-Place Brook, near said William Cutter's house in Cambridge, otherwise called the Mill Brook, to raise a pond for his sawmill; he in that place flowed William Russell's lands in 1703 and 1704, and suit was brought 1704.—County Court Records. This may be the same liberty of making a dam, conveyed to William Cutter in 1685, and granted to the Widow Rolfe in 1681. The dam was at Cyrus Cutter's privilege. 1718. William Cutter deeds to his son John Cutter, for helping and assisting to build and erect his cornmill and sawmill, standing on his houselot, one fourth part of both his mills. 1722. William Cutter by his will, dated June 1, 1722, divides his mills then standing on his homestead among his sons Richard, John, William and Samuel; confirming to his son John the fourth part which he conveyed to him by a deed, and devising to the other three sons each an equal quarter. Confirmed by deeds of the sons to each other in 1725. Ammi Ruhamah Cutter, another son of William, made surveys and plans of his father's lands, about 1725, one showing the location of the ‘Mill-Pond, Dam and Yard,’ and the lands adjoining divided among the sons; also of upland and meadow ‘lying in the bounds of Charlestown, in a place called Menotomy Fields,’ abutting on the ‘Road to Charlestown’ and Menotomy River, and divided among the sons. Richard Cutter sold his fourth of the cornmill and sawmill to John in 1731, and Samuel sold his fourth of the cornmill and sawmill to William in 1732. John Cutter, on March 3, 1768, sold to Jonathan Cutter, only heir of the last William, one half of the ancient milldam, yard and pond, containing two and one half acres, shown in plan of the date of about 1725, being John's estate of inheritance in fee simple, and also the old mill-privilege originally belonging to Colonel George Cooke. Jonathan Cutter, on March 25, 1768, sold to Ammi Cutter the same premises, being described as ‘one certain ancient milldam, pond and yard,’ containing by estimation two acres and a half. These premises Ammi increased by the purchase of one and a half acres of meadow and upland of his father John Cutter, in 1770, immediately below the old milldam and yard, and now included in Fowle's lower pond; also by the purchase of three and three quarters acres more in the same direction below the dam, and extending to the Woburn road, of his cousin Samuel Cutter, in 1778, afterward Ammi's son's, Benjamin
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.