previous next


1724. ‘Voted that the road leading to Watertown be removed from the northerly to the southerly side of the land reserved for a burying-place, Mr. Jason Russell and the neighborhood thereabouts manifesting their desires that it might be so.’—Proprietors' Records.

The ‘Burying Place at Menotomy’ is again mentioned in the Proprietors' Records in 1767. When it was first designated for that purpose, we have not discovered, but it is probable there were no interments here before 1732, and very few before 1736, the date of the earliest gravestones.


Mary Cooke, of the Parish of Martin's-in-the-Fields (London, England), spinster, grants a letter of attorney to Mr. Edward Collins, to dispose of such land as was her father's Colonel George Cooke's, in New England, and now belonging to her, April 19, 1669 (Midd. Registry, III. 417).

1670. Edward Collins, of Medford, attorney of Miss Mary Cooke, of the Parish of Martins-in-the-Fields, to John Rolph (or Rolfe), of Nantucket Island in New England, planter, for £ 160, sells sundry parcels of land: viz., 600 acres in Cambridge, north by Woburn line, south by Herbert Pelham, Esq., east by land of Widow Russell, and Cambridge Commons westerly; 20 acres ditto, north by Charlestown line, and common lands of Cambridge elsewhere surrounding, with all the buildings and fencing to the same appertaining; also 2 acres in Charlestown limits—the brook northerly, Cambridge line southerly; these sometime the possession of Colonel George Cooke, the father of said Mary. Sept. 27, 1670. (Midd. Registry, IV. 39.)

John Rolfe was originally of Newbury, and married there Mary Scullard (daughter of Samuel), 4 Dec. 1656. Rolfe died suddenly at the house of his brother Benjamin Rolfe, at Newbury, 1 Oct. 1681, where he made a nuncupative will, and said he would, if he could write the next day, write his will, but in the meanwhile deceased before he could finish the same.

1681. ‘Granted to Widow Rolfe to make a dam above the old mill-pond to keep water in, for to accommodate the mill with water.’ —Proprietors' Records.

The ‘old mill-pond’ was at the mill established by Colonel Cooke. The above may be the origin of the dam at the privilege of the late Cyrus Cutter.

1683. Mary Rolfe, of Cambridge, widow and administratrix of John Rolfe, deceased, to Richard Gardner, for £ 20, sells one fifth of a farm of 600 acres at Vine Brook in Cambridge, called Cooke's farm,

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
John Rolfe (4)
George Cooke (4)
Jason Russell (2)
Benjamin Rolfe (2)
Mary Cooke (2)
Mary Scullard (1)
John Rolph (1)
Mary Rolfe (1)
Herbert Pelham (1)
Newbury (1)
Thomas Martin (1)
Richard Gardner (1)
Edward Collins (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1767 AD (1)
1736 AD (1)
1732 AD (1)
1724 AD (1)
1683 AD (1)
October 1st, 1681 AD (1)
1681 AD (1)
September 27th, 1670 AD (1)
1670 AD (1)
April 19th, 1669 AD (1)
December 4th, 1656 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: