The Ladies' Soldiers' Aid Society and the Drill Club were allowed the use of the Town Hall during 1862.
The selectmen were authorized, Aug. 25, 1862, to pay a bounty of $200 to each volunteer for nine months in the Army of the United States, residents of this town, the bounty to be paid as soon as they are sworn and mustered into service. At the same meeting $10,000 was appropriated for the above purpose of paying bounties to volunteers in the nine-months service of the Army of the United States. The town's quota of fifty-four men for nine months (Aug. 25) was supplied at a cost for bounties of $10,800, all being citizens of the town.—Report of Military Expenditures. Dec. 8, 1862. Raising as speedily as possible the number of men assigned by the Governor of the Commonwealth as the quota of the town of West Cambridge in the nine-months service, is attended to, preference being given to three-years men in respect to bounties, an appropriation being made therefor. Dec. 26.—On a call for twenty-six men for nine months, the town furnished that number to serve for three years, at a cost of $3,380.—Report of Military Expenditures.
1863The purchase of a location, and the erection of a school-house thereon, in the Northwest District, is authorized. This was called the Cutter School House. A clock, presented by James A. E. Bailey, was placed in the grammar school room of this new school-house.
July 1, 1863, a draft of forty-four men from the town was ordered and made; of this number ten were accepted, who paid the commutation authorized by law of $300 each.
1864The town voted to establish a High School, and the selectmen were authorized to purchase of the proprietors of the Cotting Academy their building, furniture and land. The school was opened in the December following. In this year the old Union School House and land, and the old school-house in the Northwest District and land, were sold.
Feb. 1, 1864. Forty-six men called for and furnished for the war—cost, $6,900, raised by subscription among the citizens of the town. March 14.—Eighteen men furnished, the cost $2,692, raised in like manner by subscription.1