to the town, over $300,000. The source of supply is an artificial reservoir located near by in Lexington
, which receives the waters of 173 acres, embracing the area known as the Great Meadows in that town.
The town established its public library—transferring the Juvenile Library
(established 1835) to it, to be known as the Arlington Public Library
In March, 1872, the town clock in the tower of the Unitarian
meeting-house having been destroyed by the falling of the steeple of that house in a gale, in Aug. 1871, the town voted to place a new town clock in the tower of the edifice when said tower was re-built.1
In 1872-73 the town erected the large brick Russell School House, at a cost of $57,911.04 and $713 for additional land, to replace the former school-house which had been burned in 1872.
In 1872 the Arlington Land Company
is mentioned in the town records.
A friend contributes the following sketch, furnished by a gentleman prominently connected with the formation of this Land Company:—
Arlington Heights, formerly known as Circle Hill, has always been noted for fine scenery, and for the magnificent views, from the summit of the hill, of the city and harbor of Boston, and the numerous towns and cities adjoining.
In 1872, an Association, composed mostly of gentlemen doing business in Boston, purchased several hundred acres of land at this place, with a view to build up a village as a place of residence for themselves and others similarly situated.
Many previous attempts had been made to furnish homes outside the city for its business men, but none had been entirely successful, the prime requisites for such a place being, good facilities for getting to and from the city, pure air and water, good soil and drainage, beautiful natural scenery and surroundings,