This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 plenty as they are now, was furnished in 1744 by certain liberal gentlemen of the town.; and five pounds was paid for ringing it a year. Jan. 15, 1733: Voted “to repair the steeple of the meeting-house, to put a pulley on the front door, and make a convenient horse-block.” July 23, 1736: “Voted that John Bradshaw, jun., should have liberty to cut a door-place and make a door at the south end of the meeting-house into his pew.” So near to “Marble Brook” was this house placed, that, on the 3d of December, 1745, the town voted to take all necessary measures “to prevent the water of the brook from washing away the earth near the north-west corner of the meeting-house.” How significant of character are these little details of town legislation, sectional jealousies, mutual concessions, and hereditary rank! This second meeting-house was in use forty-three years; during which time there were five thousand one hundred and thirty-four sermons preached, and one thousand two hundred and eighteen persons baptized in it. The farewell service was March 4, 1770. The house was sold at auction, to John Laithe, for £ 24 (O. T.); its underpinning to Benjamin Hall, for £ 13. 6s. 8d. The land sold for £ 197 (O. T.); the old schoolhouse upon it, for £ 38.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.