from Turell Tufts
, was expended, according to his directions, in planting ornamental trees on the roadsides.
May this growing charity of a good friend of Medford
be imitated by many hereafter!
Others, from motives of taste and profit, have adorned our highways with forest-trees, whose summer shade will soon shelter the fashionable lady in her morning promenade, and the weary animals in their noonday labor.
Streets in Medford
have received the following names: High, Main, Forest, Salem
, Fountain, Fulton
, Court, Cross, Park
, Pleasant, Purchase, South, Middlesex
, Water, Ship, Canal
, Almont, Cottage, Ash, Oak, Chestnut
, Grove, Garden, Paris
, Mystic, Brooks
, West, Laurel.
|Appropriation for highways from Feb. 1, 1850, to Feb. 1, 1851||$1,500.00|
|Appropriation for highways from Feb. 15, 1854, to Feb. 15, 1855||$1,800.00|
|Expenses of street lamps for the same times||$323.75|
The bridge across Mystic River
, in the centre of Medford
, is the first that was built over this stream.
This primitive structure was exceedingly rude, and dangerously frail.
March 4, 1634: The General Court, “holden at Newton
,” make a grant of much land in Medford
, “on the north side of Mystic River
,” to Mr. Mathew Cradock
, merchant in London
This distinguished friend of the pilgrims never came to this country; but his agent and representative, Mr. Nicholas Davison
, conducted an extensive fishing business in Medford
, on his account, and probably was the person who first suggested the erection of a bridge.
's agent (Davison
) commenced the building of a bridge over the river in 1638.
The place selected was that where the present bridge stands; that being the most easterly spot, where the marshes, on the south side of the river, would allow safe roads to it. The builder exacted toll.
It was the first toll-bridge in New England
The town prosecuted the builder for his “hindrance of boats,” and for “taxing cattle that go over that bridge.”
The bridge was long,