previous next


The next pastor was Rev. A. R. Baker, who was ordained April 25, 1838.

During his ministry, several precious seasons of revival were enjoyed, the church and congregation increased, and larger accommodations in the house of worship became necessary. From this time, Zion's children began to say, in prophetic language, “Give us room, that we may dwell;” and the church became, in an important sense, the mother of churches. Besides furnishing members from time to time for the organization of several evangelical churches of other denominations, in July, 1847, she sent out a strong colony, sixty in number, to form the Mystic church of Medford, now a flourishing society.

Mr. Baker, after an efficient and successful ministry of over ten years, was dismissed by the decision of an ecclesiastical council in September, 1848.

For several years after, the church was without a settled pastor, passing through more than usual trials incident to such a condition; until, Feb. 25, 1852, Rev. E. P. Marvin, who had been supplying the desk for six months previous, was installed pastor. Under his labors, the society has regained more than its former peace and prosperity.

In the spring of 1853, they harmoniously renewed their church edifice,--replacing the desk with an elegant modern one, and the pews with those more commodious and pleasant; and, by painting and furnishing tastefully, they have rendered their church one of the most appropriate and pleasant places of religious worship. The members of the church now number about 170 or 180; and, as they look back at their former experience, they are ready, no doubt, to adopt the language of devout Samuel: “Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.”

Universalist Society.

This society was formed March 10, 1831. The meeting-house was built in 1832, and completed Aug. 10th of that year. The desk was supplied by transient preachers till the following spring. In April, the Rev. Mr. Winslow W. Wright was installed as pastor. He resigned in April, 1835, on account of ill health. Rev. Joseph Banfield was soon settled as his successor, but resigned in 1838. Dr. Hosea Ballou was settled in April, 1838. The meeting-house was remodelled

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Medford (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
A. R. Baker (2)
Winslow W. Wright (1)
E. P. Marvin (1)
Joseph Banfield (1)
Hosea Ballou (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: