previous next

[429] examined several spots, and finally recommended one owned by Mr. Edward Brooks, situated nearly opposite the head of Purchase Street, in West Medford, and containing twelve acres. It has a varied surface of hill, valley, and plain; is well covered with young oaks and beautiful forest-trees; its soil is dry, and not liable to injury from rain ; the absence of ledges will make digging easy; and its retired and accessible position renders it peculiarly fit for such a sacred appropriation. The committee had obtained the consent of the owner to sell; and the price was five thousand dollars. They recommended the purchase; and the town accepted and adopted their report, Aug. 16, 1852. Thus an extensive and beautiful cemetery is secured to future generations.

The committee declined further service; and Messrs. Sanford B. Perry, Paul Curtis, Edmund T. Hastings, George T. Goodwin, and James R. Turner, were chosen to attend to all further business connected with the subject. March 7, 1853, the town instructed the committee to build a receiving-tomb, to lay out roads and paths, to erect fences, and make such improvements as they see fit.

Oct. 13, 1853: The committee made their first report. They recommended that it be called oak Grove cemetery. Among the rules and regulations are the following:--

The cemetery shall be under the care of the selectmen, who shall appoint a superintendent. Any citizen, who may become the owner of a lot, must submit to the conditions: Fences appropriate to the place may be built to enclose lots. No lot can be used for any purpose, except the burial of the dead. No tree shall be cut down without the consent of the Cemetery Committee. Any funeral monument or structure may be erected, except a tomb. Trees, shrubs, and flowers may be planted and cultivated. Any improper structure or offensive inscription shall be removed by the committee. No tomb shall be built within the cemetery, except by special vote of the town. No burials for hire. No disinterment, except by permission.

The town-clerk shall be clerk of the Cemetery Committee. All deeds shall be executed in behalf of the town. The lots shall be apprized, numbered, and recorded, and the right of choice sold at public auction. Lots may afterwards be sold by the selectmen. Duplicate keys of the gates and receiving-tomb shall be kept by the officers. No dead body shall remain in the receiving-tomb, during warm weather, more than twenty days. No grave for any person, over twelve years of age, shall be less than five feet deep. All burials in the free public lot shall be in the order directed by the committee. No body shall be disinterred without permission of

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
James R. Turner (1)
Sanford B. Perry (1)
Edmund T. Hastings (1)
George T. Goodwin (1)
Paul Curtis (1)
Edward Brooks (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
October 13th, 1853 AD (1)
March 7th, 1853 AD (1)
August 16th, 1852 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: