and energetic of all the citizens; and, once a month, each engine was examined and played.
March 3, 1828: “Voted that the selectmen be a committee to examine and consider the necessity of procuring a new engine for the west part of the town.”
1828: The first record of the organization of a new engine-company.
1831, the town voted to give a supper each year to the firemen.
Nov. 14, 1836: Voted to purchase a new engine.
Nov. 9, 1835: The town voted that the fire-engines
may be employed to water ships, and that proper compensation be required therefor.
March 6, 1837: At this time there was a general call for a more extended and efficient defence against fire; and the town voted that it approves of the Revised Statutes
, sections 19-21.
1839: The town voted to petition the Legislature for an act of incorporation for their fire-department.
This petition suggests to the Legislature the importance of considering the whole subject; and accordingly they reconstruct the laws; and, on the 9th of April, the present law was passed.
The next day, they authorized the town of Medford
to organize a fire-department, according to their petition.
The form runs thus:--
The ninth section provides that the act establishing the fire-department “shall not take effect until it is accepted and approved by the inhabitants of the town.”
It was approved by the town, and the present fire-department organized in due form.