This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 instruction is no security against crime; therefore the Sunday school came to the relief and rescue of society when it maintained that something more was necessary to make men good than to make them intelligent. It taught that the affections are the source of happiness; and it endeavored to develop the moral powers, so as to introduce God and Christ and truth and heaven as permanent occupants of the soul. If it be true that the acquisition of mere science and literature imparts no adequate power to subdue vicious habit or restrain criminal passion, but often gives keenness to their edge and certainty to their aim, it follows, as a solemn consequence, that every patriot, philanthropist, and Christian, is sacredly bound to patronize the Sunday school. The “communion plate” belonging to the First Church has its history, which is as follows :-- Two silver cups, bought by the church in 1719. One silver cups, gift of Mrs. Sarah Ward, 1725. One silver cups, gift of Deacon Thomas Willis. Two silver cups, gift of Mr. Francis Leathe, 1742. One silver cups, gift of Thomas Brooks, Esq., 1759. One large silver tankard, with a cover,--gift of Rev. Ebenezer Turell, 1760. One smaller silver tankard, with a cover,--gift of Francis and Mary Whitmore, 1761. One large, open, silver can,--gift of Hon. Isaac Royal, 1781. One silver dish,--gift of Hon. Isaac Royal, 1789. One silver dish,--gift of Deacon Richard Hall, 1814. Two silver cups,--gift of Mr. William Wyman, 1815. Two silver flagons,--gift of Hon. P. C. Brooks, 1823. One silver dish,--gift of Mr. David Bucknam, 1824. One antique silver cup; donor and date unknown. One silver spoon; Two silver cans,--gift of Turell Tufts, Esq., 1842. Previously to 1759, there were the following:-- One pewter flagon,--gift of Hon. John Usher. One pewter flagon,--gift of Deacon John Whitmore. Four pewter flagon, bought by the church. Two pewter dishes,--gift of Thomas Tufts, Esq.; and two pewter ones, bought by the church. One silver baptismal basin,--gift of Mr. John Willis, 1755. Colonel Royal gave a silver cup to the church in Medford; but, he being an absentee, suspected of not liking the Amercan revolution, his agent could not deliver the cup without legislative authority. The following public document will sufficiently explain itself:--
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.