This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 immediately over the mortar. When the pestle was set in motion, the elastic spring of the tree would continue its blows on the grain for a minute or more. They found a mill driven by wind cheaper than one driven by water: nevertheless, the water-power here was sufficient, and so convenient that it soon became serviceable. April 20, 1659: Thomas Broughton sold to Edward Collins, for six hundred and fifty pounds, “his two water-mills, which he built in Mistick River.” They were then occupied by Thomas Eames. There was a mill a short distance below the Wear Bridge; but who built it, and how long it stood, we have not been able to discover. The place is yet occupied. In 1660, Edward Collins conveyed a “gristmill on the Menotomy side” to Thomas Danforth, Thomas Brooks, and Timothy Wheeler. This mill was previously occupied by Richard Cooke. There was a mill at the place now called the “Bower,” about one mile north of the meeting-house of the first parish, carried by the water of Marble Brook. The banks, race, canal, and cellar are yet traceable. This was used for grinding grain and sawing timber. It was on land now owned by Mr. Dudley Hall. The remains of another water-mill are still visible on land now owned by Mr. W. A. Russell, near the north-west border of the town. It was carried by the water of Whitmore Brook. This mill must have been among the earnest in Medford. The first action of the town respecting mills was May 30, 1698, and the record reads thus: “Put to vote, whether the inhabitants of Medford will petition the General Court for liberty to build a gristmill on the river, near and above Mistick Bridge. Voted in the affirmative.” This was not successful; nor was the following,--Nov. 26, 1700: “Whether the town will petition the General Court for liberty to build a corn-mill in their town, at Gravelly Bank, near Mistick Bridge. This was voted in the affirmative.” When the circular stone windmill, now standing on Quarry Hill, in Somerville, was built, the inhabitants of Medford carried their grain there. Before the Revolution, the mill was converted into a powder-house, and has been used as such to our day. 1730; Mr. John Albree built a mill upon his own land, on a branch of Marble Brook. It stood about six rods west of Purchase Street, on land now owned by Mr. P. C. Hall,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.