This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 fishermen to this locality. Gov. Winthrop had early settled the question for himself, and then immediately gave his advice to his friend's company; for, by special contract in England, the artisans were to work two-thirds of the time for the Company, and one-third for Mr. Cradock. This arrangement brought the Governor and these workmen very near together, and made it the interest and convenience of both to become neighbors. We do not see how it could have been well otherwise. The facts we infer are these. The four ships, Arbella, Jewell, Ambrose, and Talbot, which sailed from the Isle of Wight, April 8, 1630, brought the first settlers of this region. Two of the ships belonged to Mr. Cradock. The Governor had the care of Mr. Cradock's men, and, as soon as possible after his arrival, searched for the best place wherein to employ them. His choice fell on Mistick, probably on the 17th day of June; and so rapidly did our young plantation thrive, that, on the 28th of September (only four months afterwards), Medford was taxed £ 3 for the support of military teachers. Nov. 30, 1630, another tax of £ 3 was levied. Thus Medford became a part of “London's plantation in Massachusetts Bay.” Twelve ships had brought, within a year , fifteen hundred persons; and Medford had a large numerical share. The running streams of fresh water in our locality were a great inducement to English settlers; for they thought such streams indispensable. In 1630 they would not settle in Roxbury “because there was no running water.” In Charlestown (1630) the “people grew discontented for want of water; who generally notioned no water good for a town but running springs.” Medford, at the earliest period, became that anomolous body politic called a town; creating its own government, and electing its own officers. No municipal organization, like this, had been witnessed in the old world for four centuries! How natural was this growth. By the law, “each adventurer had a right to fifty acres of land.” Each one would see that this grant was made and secured. Thus the territory was divided into manageable lots, and thus farms began. Gov, Dudley says: “Some of us planted upon Mistick (1630), which we called Meadford.” This shows the beginning of a settlement by other than Mr. Cradock's men. Mr. Cradock's men had their rights to land; and probably each one received his due. The grant was not confirmed to Mr. Cradock till
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.