This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
 Baptist churches was convened, Sept. 8, 1841, in the vestry of the Second Congregational meeting-house. After due organization, the council proceeded to examine the articles of faith and covenant of the church; which were found to be substantially the same as the New Hampshire articles, so called, and such as are generally adopted by the regular Calvinistic Baptist churches in New England. The council then proceeded to examine the pastor elect; and, after a brief adjournment, the public services of recognizing the church were performed. At the same time, and by the above-named council, George W. Bosworth was publicly ordained to the work of the gospel ministry. Rev. Mr. Bosworth labored in his infant church, with great acceptance and success, for nearly five years; when he found that the demands of his family required a larger salary, and he removed to a wider field of labor. He reluctantly yielded to a necessity, and left Medford early in 1846, greatly to the grief of the church. A society was formed to act in concert with the church; and was incorporated, under the general act of incorporation of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, May 29, 1842, on application of Moses Parsons, Lewis C. Sorntas, Robert L. Ells, William Parsons, and others. Many inconveniences were experienced by the church and society from worshipping in a place so common, and appropriated to so many different uses, as the Town Hall. Preparations were now made for building a plain and neat chapel for the better accommodation of the worshippers. The very kind and fraternal feeling of Dudley Hall, Esq., enabled them to secure a convenient and eligible piece of land, adjoining the old burying-ground, near the centre of the town. The society proceeded to erect their chapel during the summer of 1842; being kindly assisted by some of their fellow-citizens, among whom were the late Peter C. Brooks, Esq., and others, and also by friends of adjoining towns. On the 14th day of September, 1842, their chapel, being finished and ready for occupancy, was publicly dedicated to the service and worship of Almighty God. The church and society, rejoicing that they could now worship under their own vine and fig-tree, gladly removed to their chapel, where they still worship. After the removal of Mr. Bosworth, the church and society were for some months destitute of a pastor; when they united in the election of Rev. B. C. Grafton,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.